Enrico Forestieri wrote:
At preview_scale_factor=1.05, magically everything lines up and even
the baseline of the previewed images is correctly aligned with the
baseline of the surrounding text!

With these settings I tried other real world lyx files and everything
seems fine.

Things break again if one chooses pslatex fonts. Instead, changing
\screen_zoom to 150, the "n"'s and "H"'s are still aligned with each
other but their baseline does not correspond anymore to that of the
surrounding text.

I think that the conclusion is that there are complex interactions
between too much parameters and it is very difficult to get it right.

That does sound to be the case indeed. (It may even be something wrong in the way Qt/WinFree lines up fonts...)

Right. But you'll understand that I'm unhappy about making a change I don't
understand.

You're a wise man ;-)

And you're a patient and methodical one :)

I'd suggest that we just leave things as they are. The "fix" is available to you; you can fudge your script file.

Regards,
Angus