Angus Leeming wrote:
Maybe I'm confused.

I think that I did build LyX 1.4 once or twice once I'd managed to turn off the
g++ safe iterators but the link time was over one hour with dynamic linking and
about 50 minutes with static linking.

I then went on to use Asger's VS2003 solution file and built the entire thing
from scratch in about 20 minutes. I don't think I went back after that.

Anyway, the dynamic / static conversation was relevant also to LyX 1.3.x...

Angus

It is indeed true that MinGW is extremely slow and building takes several hours. However, since some Visual C++ functions differ slightly from the MinGW functions I had problems like console windows popping up after building with Visual C++. Did you manage to solve that?

Joost