Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Enrico,
>
> Using MSYS, I have built the libiconv package suggested by Michael and then
> gone on to build LyX using --with-included-gettext. configure finds
> libiconv and the build proceeds happily, but I find that the resulting .exe
> is unable to change the installed .po (.gmo) dynamically to the local
> locale. If I understood your message of some time ago correctly, you
> reported that your essentially-identical cygwin build was able to display a
> Polish LyX with native Windows LANG.
>
> When I read the libiconv/gettext build docs, it seems that the build
> process is essentially circular. First build gettext, then libiconv, then
> gettext again. (Or start with libiconv, then gettext, then libiconv again.)
>
> So, I suspect that my build doesn't work as advertised because my build is
> incomplete.
>
> Before I invest time and effort into trying out my theory, can you explain
> in more detail just what you did to get this stuff working?

Angus,

I suspect that this is an hardcoded path problem. The configure script
sets LYX_ABS_INSTALLED_LOCALEDIR to the directory $prefix/Resources/locale
and then this directory is hardcoded into the executable.
So, if LyX is installed in a different place than the $prefix dir, it will
be unable to find the files.

I don't know how this can be cleanly solved. I can think of two solutions.

The first one is rather dirty: hack the configure script such that
LYX_ABS_INSTALLED_LOCALEDIR is set to a PATH_MAX long string and then
at installation time overwrite the string in the LyX executable with
the proper path (other than dirty, this may also be fragile).

The second one is the following. You already have an hardcoded path
"C:/Aspell", so you could change that to "C:/LyXsupport" and put there
both aspell and locale files.

A third possibility is investigating wheter libiconv/gettext support
dynamic relocation.

A fourth possibility is switching to cygwin and forget all those
problems, but I suspect that this is not an option ;-)

But, wait a moment... what about hacking configure such that
LYX_ABS_INSTALLED_LOCALEDIR is a relative path? Uhm... perhaps that
is not possible to do, I mean that perhaps it has to be an absolute
path.

--
Enrico