Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> Really? I had thought the second one was more cleaner. Actually I had to
> figure out that when latex_path() is called for generating the argument
> of [EMAIL PROTECTED] it is assumed that a trailing / is present, and the
> second
> patch makes this clear not only for cygwin.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] must always be an absolute path (otherwise it would not work
TeX-wise), but why should that matter in LyX?

> On the other hand,
> external_path() is almost a no-op for the other OSes, so I don't it is
> such an overhead. So, what shall I use?

The overhead does not matter at all here. We have had a lot of path problems
on the different windows flavors. Angus worked hard to resolve these, and
implemented the external/internal path distiction.
If we want to avoid more problems we must keep this distinction and be
always explicit whether a path is external or intrnal.
In the long run we should not juggle with paths as strings, but always use a
path class with external() and internal() methods. This will make the
distinction more clear.

I am not really sure how things work on cygwin. Can we always assume that
all external paths are either windows or posix style? Or do we need posix
paths in some cases and windows paths in others?

> Funny, it was not there when I started working on the bug ;-)

It should have been there a long time ago, but finally somebody did not only
complain on lyx-users and added it.

Georg