Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> It can be *much* worse, believe me... A Windows system can be broken in
> so many ways that we have somewhat to live with that.

Not our job. LyX should do one thing, and that well. This thing happens to
be document preparation. Reparing a broken system is definitely not the job
of LyX.

>> Note that I was considering the opposite case: you have the useful
>> app, but it is not associated with the type.
>
> When Windows tells you there is no associated type and offers you to
> select the application of your choice. This works quite well.

If there is a suitable application is installed. I share Jean-Marcs concern
that this case is very rare, since if the application is installed properly
it would be already associated with the file type.

> Come on Jean-Marc, we are talking about the 3 most used format: dvi, ps
> an pdf. IMHO it is OK to make exception for those three. Let's just be
> pragmatic here.

I don't agree. Exceptions are always bad: Extra code, extra documentation
(explain why it does this or that with this format but not with the other
one), so they should only be made if really necessary. A broken
installation does not justify exceptions IMHO.

Georg