Georg Baum a écrit :
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

It can be *much* worse, believe me... A Windows system can be broken in
so many ways that we have somewhat to live with that.

Not our job. LyX should do one thing, and that well. This thing happens to
be document preparation. Reparing a broken system is definitely not the job
of LyX.

Indeed and that's exactly what Bo's patch is trying to achieve: delegate that task to Windows and the user.

Note that I was considering the opposite case: you have the useful
app, but it is not associated with the type.
When Windows tells you there is no associated type and offers you to
select the application of your choice. This works quite well.

If there is a suitable application is installed. I share Jean-Marcs concern
that this case is very rare, since if the application is installed properly
it would be already associated with the file type.

It is not rare. Ask Uwe about that...

Come on Jean-Marc, we are talking about the 3 most used format: dvi, ps
an pdf. IMHO it is OK to make exception for those three. Let's just be
pragmatic here.

I don't agree. Exceptions are always bad: Extra code, extra documentation
(explain why it does this or that with this format but not with the other
one), so they should only be made if really necessary. A broken
installation does not justify exceptions IMHO.

If it is exception localised on the Windows version, it is acceptable IMHO. If it impacts other system then I agree.

Abdel.