Andre Poenitz wrote:

> Restricting input in cell is something we stubled over already in e.g.
> the number of macro arguments.
>
> So it looks like some generic solution is wanted, i.e. something like a
> 'cell property'.

This is not the only problem: If we made the delimiter a cell we would have
bad UI IMHO: Enter the inset and type somthing. Then leave it, and it will
change from a cell to something else with different dimensions.
This is the case for macros already, but to use your words: That does not
make it any better. In the case of macros there is a need to edit the
arguments, but big delimiters are IMHO more like symbols (and it is to my
knowledge not possible to change the delimiter of a \left...\right
combination after inserting it, so that would be consistent).

> In any case, all magic should go to interpret() & Co., not to
> LCursor::plainInsert().

That works for one-character delimiters, but not for things like \Vert. It
should be possible to introduce a second interpret method that is called
from LCursor::macroModeClose() and LCursor::insert(). Would that be OK with
you?

If you want I'll revert the changes to plainInsert, but I am not going to
implement the cell based solution, since I don't like it UI-wise at all.

Georg