On Thu, 04 May 2006 08:55:03 +0200
Georg Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>
> > Bo Peng a écrit :
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Great Job!
> > I am convinced and I will certainly use with minimal capability
> > (building LyX is enough).
>
> I fear you both underestimate the amount of work that is needed to replace
> the auto stuff. After all, there is a reson why it is so complicated.
> Aopart from what a regular developer uses, there are things like "make
> dist" and "make distcheck" that need to work.
> Let me restate that a build system in parallel to the existing one does not
> make sense. It soon gets outdated, and if not it costs double maintenance
> work.

> If I where you I would rather try to get the existing build system work for
> your platforms. I agree that the auto stuff is not nice, but this option
> will be far less work than replacing it with something else.
> We don't have enough man power for such a big project. Of course I can't
> (and don't want) to force you to stop working on this, it is just my
> opinion that you could be more useful for the whole project if you continue
> with bug fixing and implementing new features.

The problem is that building on a multiplatform (win32 + OSX etc... ) is a pain
with autotools.
With scons, you just have to install python and scons and thats it.
You build your project with only one command, on every platform, and better
with the same SConstruct file.
The tweak to diferenciate platform is reduce to a minimum and can be resume to
if os.platform == 'win32':
  blabla
elif os.platform == 'linux2':
  etc...
Very clean.

I use to build a library for windows using the VC++6 and on Debian with gcc.
With scons, the command is the same on both platform. Just type scons and
that's it.
Thanks to wine I can now compile my library with VC++6 without reboorting my
computer.

I agree one one point with this post, scons is not yet ready to replace the
autotools (lake of libtool's capabilities (you can find code for this on the
scons wiki) and no standard way to deal with config.h). But scons's guy's are
are working on it. They propose a google summer of code for this. so I hope
that in less than one year, scons will be ready to replace the autotools.

Nevertheless you can look for bksys and waf (script base on scons to build KDE)
to have a idea of what must be done to replace part of the autotools. Thoma
Nagy is the author of those peaces of software and one of the mentor of the
scons's google summer code.
http://www.scons.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/scons/moin.cgi/SummerOfCodeIdeas

Hope scons will be use to build lyx :)

Good luck