Whohaey. So 'multiplatform' means 'runs on one Unix flavour (Linux, no
less...) and WinNT'?  This is the kind of thing I would use a manual
Makefile for.

I agree with you and my 'multiplatform' does include other platforms.
However, do we ever achieve multiplatform even in this narrowed
definition? *Lots* of work needs to be done to compile lyx under
cygwin/windows etc. I was not saying autotools can not eventually
achieve smooth 'configure; make; make install', I was saying that to
achieve that, using another tool (like scons) might be easier.

Bo