Even on a Friday I think that I will start to think about changing to scons,
after all I get stunned everytime I see configure searching for fortran and
fortran 95 when testing for lyx requirements.

Good move. I need more testers for scons.

Currently, scons is trying to ensure a correct build under the same
command line options for all platforms, and for lyx1.4 and 1.5.
Whenever you see scons fails after a correct configure, you should
report the problem even if it is caused by your wrongful use of scons.

Cheers,
Bo