Mike Ressler wrote:

> I haven't toned the Postscript (tm) :-) stuff down yet. I agree it gets a
> bit pendantic - maybe I'll poke around on the Web and find out what common
> practice is.

In the commercial realm, accepted practice is to put the tm or R mark
(as appropriate) only after the *first* use of the brand. In the front
matter, spell out who it belongs to and add a weasel disclaimer about
"all other product and company names are trademarks or registered
trademarks of their owners." I've been seeing this since roughly 1990,
no lawsuits so far. :-)

> > > [2] Notwithstanding the very dated presentation, but that's LaTeX's
> > > fault.
>
> Which "very dated presentation"? As is the writing, the page formatting,
> the Word attack ???

Page formatting. The writing is great, and the Word attack is funny (I
used Word to make a living from 1985 to 1997 --- some of that stuff is
dead-on). Harvard-style headings are rare outside of academia or
internal (specification) documents these days. The current style sets
headings in a sans font (like koma-script) and outdents them somewhat
(which seems to be nearly impossible to do automatically using LaTeX,
I've tried although I'm no LaTeXnician). From there, different people
use different methods to differentiate section from sub from subsub ---
most vary the font size and often use some other visual hints. For
example, sections can be indicated by a horizontal rule above the text,
subsections wrap in the sidehead, and subsubs are indented to appear
above the body text. That's just one of dozens of possibilities.

One advantage of such a scheme is that it neatly sidesteps all the "why
are the margins so huge" gripes without losing the typographically
correct body text width. Pocket-sized books can (have to) lose the
outdenting but can keep the level hints.

I tried to cram two paragraphs' worth of explanation into "dated
presentation" but had to write them anyway. Drat.

        Larry