On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:50:51PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> * How would users like to read the FAQ?
> ** Users want to read/browse the FAQ as web (wiki) pages.
>    This requires an internet connection unless we package a local copy of
>    the web (wiki) pages with the LyX documentation.
> ** Users want to read their FAQ.lyx that comes installed with LyX

Honestly, I don't think we really need to have the FAQ be a LyX
document anymore.  HTML pages, possibly generated from the Wiki,
should be sufficient.   (It's not like web browsers are all that rare
anymore.)

Keeping the manuals (or certain manuals, at least) as LyX documents
does serve a useful purpose, as Christian points out:  an example of
how-to-do-that in LyX.

With that in mind, I could easily see "Customization.lyx" and
"Reference.lyx" turned into webpages maintained on the Wiki by the
community.

The UG, Tutorial, and Intro would all remain tightly-controlled by
some Editor-type-peoples.  However, the Wiki could have places where
the community could contribute corrections and addendums (not new
sections, mind you, but new sentences).

That just leaves "Extended.lyx", which could probably use new name.
Or not.  It should, however, have a new organizational structure and
contents in the form of journal-entry-like units, thus making it easy
for people to contribute new sections.  The level of control would be
less-tight than UG/Tutorial/et.al., but not totally willy-nilly.

Hmmm... maybe my original concept for the Reference Manual is better
served by the Wiki.  Hmmm... have a fixed template for entries, a
well-documented notation (using Wiki markup, of course), and community
contribution.  Might work.  Might work...

--
John Weiss