On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 14:11 -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM, John Robert Hudson
> > In 33572 I would write 'du genre fichier zip' meaning 'of the type zip'
> > but then I'm not a native French speaker.
>
> What would you put before "du genre fichier zip"? "des fichiers du
> genre fichier zip"? That sounds strange to my (also non-native) ears.
> A google search shows that "du genre fichier zip" and "des fichiers du
> genre zip" return 3 results. "des fichiers zip" returns 974,000.
>
> Scott
I was suggesting 'Ces archives sont du genre fichier zip,' because the
sentence concludes by referring to 'une archive zip ordinaire' - in
other words the sentence appears to be stressing the type of file and
the consequences of the files being of that type.

I agree it would be normal to refer to 'des fichiers zip' where the type
was incidental or inevitable in view of the context; I was responding on
the assumption that the context was an introduction of the idea that
they were of a particular type. However, I don't have the whole context
and it may be that the previous text refers to compressed files and this
simply reinforces it - in which case, my suggestion doesn't add anything
to what you already have.

John