Kaare> The publisher wants to have the page number in italics in the
Kaare> index.  This was easy in the TOC, but the index is another
Kaare> story. I can't find the index in any .sty file . In book.cls
Kaare> there's something called \newenvironment{theindex}, but there's
Kaare> no mention of a page number.

Kaare> Also if the index entry (plus the page number) is more than one
Kaare> line, it's indented. How do I remove the indentation?

Sorry, I do not know much about indices. If you generate them with
makeindex, then their generation is governed by .ist files (makeindex'
style files). You can probably try to make your own style...

JMarc