Wolfgang Engelmann writes:

  Is'nt it strange that the publishers nowadays want everything done for
  them. I remember the time where we could send manuscripts handwritten
  with sketches for the figures and the publisher took care of it.

I've had the opposite problem.  I write for trade publishers
(commercial houses like HarperCollins and Random House), and they will
not accept a manuscript in LaTeX or camera-ready copy in Postscript.
If I cannot submit the manuscript in the format of some PC
word-processor, they want the LyX/LaTeX that I have so carefully
formatted stripped down to ascii.  Their copy-editors then insert a
host of errors and misformat material that was correct in the
manuscript.

--

Ronald Florence                 Maple Lawn Farm, Stonington, CT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.connix.com/~mlfarm