On Jan 29, 10:14am, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Subject: Re: local installation
> Harry> Anyway, I've tried also to create a
> Harry> ~/temp/usr/ directory and install the libXpm by hand as is
> Harry> distributed in ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib (xpm-3.4k-irix.tgz) but
> Harry> still the ./configure program gives the message error that the
> Harry> libXpm is not properly installed....Have anyone tried a
> Harry> complete local installation?? BTW, the system is a SGI running
> Harry> IRIX 5.3.
>
> As far as I know, the local installation is not the problem. Did you
> try to use the --with-extra-inc and --with-extra-lib to tell configure
> where xpm lies?

I had the same problem on IRIX 6.2 for lyx-1.0pre6 (I think). The
configure script couldn't find libXpm.a although it was there and I
specified --with-extra-inc/lib (It did find xpm.h though). Anyway,
the compile went well, so the linker could access libXpm.a after all.
So the script might be bit wrong.

I know SGI's bsdinst has a bug. It changes the owner of installed
files (sometimes?) to "root". Now if you bsdinst[all] libXpm.a
in a local directory with owner read acces only, you will have a
problem if you are not root. I don't thinks this is the problem,
but Harry could check this anyway.

The produced binary didn't work for me because rld failed to map
libforms.so.0.88. Probably my fault somehow. I have no time to
sort this out now, I decided to wait for the release of LyX 1.0.

Cheers, Theo