Paul> Hmm... ah, I see the problem.  The LyX man page is malformed,
Paul> such that catman -w (at least on Solaris) doesn't generate the
Paul> right windex entry.  On Solaris if the man page you ask for
Paul> doesn't exist in windex, man assumes it doesn't exist at all
Paul> (unless you provide the -F option).  Darn annoying, but there
Paul> you go.  Here's a patch for the LyX man page:

Applied. Thanks.

Paul> Oh, wait.  I see the problem.  Somehow these only work if you
Paul> invoke the command with the exact name "lyx" (so that's [at
Paul> least the filename part of] arg[0]).  I installed it as
Paul> "lyx-1.0.0" and was running it with that name, and when you do
Paul> that none of the command line options work.  I'd say that's a
Paul> bug, too.

Hmm, what should we use to get the options? Is arg[0] always right?
What if arg[0] is a symlink to some other name?

Paul>  1) _Why_ is LyX using this oh-so-strange set of options?  There
Paul> sure ain't much standard about X user interfaces, but if
Paul> _anything_ can be considered standard, geometry can.

You found it: xforms does not use Xt. I guess this means that handling
resources a la Xt would be too difficult.

Paul>     Also, if LyX doesn't support standard geometry and the -xrm
Paul> option, it can't be handled by most session managers.  This is a
Paul> Bad Thing.

Paul>  2) You can't use the common idiom of negative numbers to xpos
Paul> and ypos, to position as an offset from the right/bottom of the
Paul> window instead of the left/top.

Paul>  3) This should probably be documented in the manual, somewhere,
Paul> as well.

Yes. Unfortunately, I am do not know much about this stuff.

JMarc, waiting for fvwm 2.2.0 to magically appear on my nearest mirror
ftp site ;)