>>Subject: Presentation with FoilTeX
>>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:25:13 +0100 (MET)
>>From: Emanuele Olivetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>As you probably know I'm at the end of my thesis...8-} . Now I'm trying to
>>set up the presentation; obviously I want to use LyX.
>>They say to me to use my notebook instead of that old-fashioned slides...
>>I'll prepare both of them, because I like slides. No way to use PowerPoint,
>>as they suggested. I don't want to mix heaven and hell!
>>
>>Here is the problem:
>>I'll use ghostview (gv by Johannes Plass) on my notebook with a projector,
>>to show my LyX-slides; since the display is larger than tall, I'll use
>>landscape A4 paper as default. But if I set landscape paper and RotateFoilHead
>>environnement, things go wrong and I get a portrait slide shown horizontally.
>>Using only Landscape paper or only RotateFoilHead goes wrong. If I set
>>"landscape", in the Extra Option of the document layout, I get the right
>>thing, but text is truncated on the right (using gv). Is it a problem of LyX
>>or gv?
>>
>>Which viewer shall I use to make the presentation? Is gv good for this?
>>

>>If I can't find a solution I'll use portrait slides.... :-(
>>

>>Thanks a lot
>>

>>                                              Emanuele

It's a problem of a4paper/landscape...
I don't know about Foils, but here it goes with seminar:
 - a4paper+landscape produces 21x29.7 slide ready for printing, but
 not for viewing on a 4/3 screen
 - however ghosview is cute enough to undertand whats going on and
 rotate the paper;
 - Acrobat reader is not cute and insists upon viewing as a4paper like
 the printer (and I didnt find any Rotate button...)

So what you need (to use acrobat with the videoprojector) is a portait
sized as 29.7x21, which is NOT a standard paper format.
Fixing this size with geometry works fine with a plain document,
but I was not able to make it work with a seminar-derived class...

So ghostview should do it if you stick to a4/landscape.

IMHO, there should be a clean solution to this in the future, most
of the viewgraphs will never be printed in a4 or the like: as I mentioned, 4/3
(and perhaps 16/9 :-) should be present as a standard paper format
along with a4, letter, etc. This is clearly a LaTeX issue.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre