Ramon> I am having trouble printing with the default font (but NOT
Ramon> other fonts, such as palatino). The printed quality of the
Ramon> documents I generate in my Linux box (tex->dvi->ps) is lower
Ramon> than the quality of the same tex file, printed at home too, but
Ramon> processed in my department's Linux machines. The differences
Ramon> are: - fonts are "thicker"; - fonts are compressed vertically

Did you try to choose a correct metafont mode for your printer?
Different printers are known to render the same texts differently,
depending on their physical characteristics.

Ramon> The weird thing is that if I save the document as LaTeX, and
Ramon> then use pdflatex, I don't see any problem (i.e., I get good
Ramon> quality output)!

I guess pdflatex uses postscript fonts, doesn't it?

What is your printer, BTW?

JMarc