On 03/15/2015 02:19 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Robert Susmilch
> <rob...@susmilch.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I have Googled a way to refer to numbered equations in text, such
>> as "See equation (3)" in Lyx but everything I read, whether from
>> other users or wikis, suggests labeling the already numbered
>> equations and then using the label to cross reference.
>>
>> This seems absurd given that Lyx purports to free you to write
>> and not micromanage things like this. The tutorial goes on and on
>> about using citations, bibliography, automatic section and
>> chapter title numbering that takes care of itself. If I can
>> number an equation and it's automatic that means the equation
>> numbering can / will change as they are moved about, added or
>> deleted, etc.
>>
>> So can this be done? Have I failed Google 101? I'm running Lyx
>> 2.1.3. If it can't be done then really, what's the point?
>
> Dear Robert,
>
> If I understand correctly, you want to reference an equation
> without specifying a label. But how would LyX know which equation
> you want to reference?
>
> Best,
>
> Scott

Dear Scott,

Why, by the special numbered equation number I can view in my outline.
Lyx CLEARLY knows where they are as you can click on them and it takes
one to them in the document.

Also if you enter another equation before a currently numbered
equation it correctly numbers BOTH equations, so internally it is
keeping track of them.

I did notice that you can't reference sections in the table of
contents without a label. I'm a rookie so didn't see this the first
time, but it seems like an oversight to not have a drop-down box to
select these kinds of things in cross-reference.

For example, in the cross-reference dialog, select a label, or show a
category of "internal labels" such as Table of Contents or Equations.
- --
Respectfully,

Robert Susmilch