Hi Blaine,

This certainly sounds frustrating. Thanks for reporting this to us and
for the nice comments about how useful LyX is to you. Please
exit LyX, then run

mv ~/.lyx ~/Desktop/DOTlyx_backup

Then start LyX again.

Does it work now? If so, can you please *not* delete DOTlyx_backup? We
might like to take a look at it to see what caused this to break.

Below I give some unsolicited advice. Feel free to ignore it.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:23:32PM -0600, Blaine Elswood wrote:
> I have recently updated my Ubuntu system to 15.04 and it upgraded my LyX
> version to 2.1.3. However, the "export to" menu is now faded and there are
> no menu items to update or view pdflatex.
>
> I use LyX everyday to write a novel and desperately need to export to,

You should always be careful when updating. I am not saying that LyX is
not responsible. I believe that LyX is at fault here and I think there
is a bug in LyX that caused this to happen. But you should be prepared
for things to break when you upgrade. Always have a backup plan. And do
not upgrade before the final release of Ubuntu 15.04 (later this month).
In fact, I would suggest not upgrading until a few months *after* the
final release of Ubuntu. Actually, if you are "desperate" to have a stable
system and are not willing to put up with things breaking, only upgrade
to LTS versions. My last bit of advice is to not upgrade, and to do a
clean install. If you have an install script that installs all the
software you need this makes it easy.

Again, I think this is a LyX bug. But it can be tricky to make things
upgrade without problems. This has to do with backwards compatibility of
preferences and settings and other things.

> save, update, and view pdflatex files. These functions worked fine in LyX
> before the upgrade to version 2.1.3. I have tried to reinstall both LyX and
> TexLive packages to no avail.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated! (I consider LyX as
> indispensable to my work product.)
>
> Thank you in advance.

I hope we get the issue resolved soon!

For what it's worth, I've used 15.04 since the early alpha days and do
not have a problem with LyX. But I am using the development version of
LyX and compiling myself so we have different setups.

Scott