On 06/10/2015 04:13 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:
On 2015-06-10, Benedict Holland wrote:

Since there are already excellent Latex editors, I don't
understand why it would be desirable for Lyx to incorporate such features.
I love LyX, because I can input math from the keyboard, without click and
search in menus and dragging around - just using familiar LaTeX syntax.

The same would apply for many smaller edits (font changes, package
insertions, ...): if the source view were edible, I could do many of
these changes fast and per keyboard without searching in menus or the
shortkey-list.

Maybe some sort of math-like tab-activated completion could be
implemented, for commands that LyX supports natively... There'd be
less scope for getting it wrong in such a set-up.

So something along the lines of:
- activate math-like completion as in "\"
- propose a list of completion possibilities given an exclusive list
of commands that LyX understands and supports natively
- run tex2lyx on the input when user signals they're done
- if something didn't go to plan, spit out ERT

But I expect this wouldn't be a trivial implementation to get
everything right and cover all potential complications...

The idea of having an ERT-like box that supported completion, syntax highlighting, etc, is one I've had before. But then we're talking about integrating something like a LaTeX edtior into LyX, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, from LyX's point of view, especially given that, like most FOSS projects, we are very short of programming time. And, as Benedict says, if one really wants to do that kind of thing, then at least a very good alternative is an Input inset, which one can then edit with a real editor (Kile, in my case). I wonder if just having the option of opening an ERT itself in an external editor would help? I suppose it might be an option to run tex2lyx on whatever we get, and replace the ERT inset with the result, in so far as that is possible. I.e., we'd have a sort of generic ERT-->LyX routine. I *think* that some parts of what is required here
already exist in the Advanced F&R machinery.

Richard