I find, from experience, that the best thing you can do is learn biblatex.
Is this something you are willing to do? It has a very steep learning curve
but is very well documented and supported. Your problem is trivially solved
as well. Lyx can also use biblatex with a small amount of work that also
very well documented.

~Ben