I use BibTeX, because that's what LyX first embraced; and the version of LyX ported for Fedora still does not support BibLaTeX. Switching to BibLaTeX would involve more time and effort than playing with the .tex file, because I would need to revise the bibliographic database. If LyX is not going to support Chicago style except through BibLaTeX, then trying to avoid wrestling with the .tex file of the paper at hand is not reasonable; though it might well be reasonable to migrate to BibLaTeX for future papers.

An Example that produced the yowlings about conflicting specifications would be a crufty non-Minimal non-Working Example. I wasn't seeking to get the yowling decyphered. My actual query stands with or without mentioning those yowlings; my point in mentioning them was to preempt a suggestion that merely dropped something into the preamble.

Thank you for the .layout file. I am in fact just playing with the damn'd .tex file, and will finish that shortly after completing a process of turning useful citations (which identify chapters and sections) into lousy citations (which only offer page numbers peculiar to the edition used).

It's very Microsoft-ish if LyX cannot simply be told to disable the the insertions and other processing associated with the Bibliography configuration.