This is in reply to Pavel Sanda's query about Texlive vs. Miktex.  Sorry, on my Fedora 28 system the "Reply to" button on the Mail Archive does not seem to work.  I get a blank screen on both Chrome and Firefox.  I may well be doing something wrong...

Anyway, I owe great thanks to the LyX team for your terrific ongoing work.  I've been using LyX for almost 10 years now and I can't imagine life without it.

I've been mostly using Texlive on Linux for my own work; this has been seamless at both install and run time.  However, about 5 years ago I helped a colleague install LyX on his Windows system using the "Bundle" installer and thus with MikTex.  This worked OK on the whole, but there have been a few mysterious failures, especially when installing new versions of LyX, even if the "simple" installer was used with an existing Miktex installation. Problems were usually cleared up by a complete reinstall of both MikTex and LyX, but that's quite a bother.

A couple of years ago this had became enough of an annoyance that we decided to try a full Texlive installation on Windows after completely removing Miktex.  Lyx immediately detected Texlive and ran flawlessly.  This good experience has been repeated without exception since then, through a number of version upgrades of LyX.  We would not consider a return to Miktex.

This experience left us wondering: why the emphasis on MikTex as opposed to Texlive?  The difference in installation simplicity and stability seemed so striking to us.  We do realize that Mixtex has certain automatic convenience features that permit somewhat smaller installs, saving perhaps 2-3 GB of disk space while automatically loading any needed packages.  However, this space saving would be modest on most reasonably modern computers although it is clear that older machines might benefit from Miktex's smaller footprint.

It is true that the need to install Texlive and LyX separately might be a bit more difficult for the uninitiated, but a person would have to be able to do one installation anyway with the bundle installer and seems to have a much greater chance of running into trouble that way.  This strikes me as not being a good tradeoff in user friendliness.

If Miktex compatibility is to be maintained as an official part of LyX, I STRONGLY support the proposal to include a warning to the user that their Miktex installation might be modified or harmed by the installer.  In particular, I think failure to do so is more likely to mess up naive users that sophisticated ones. Experienced people can get themselves out of trouble.  In fact, I'd be surprised if a substantial fraction of LyX users are all that naive, since to use LyX effectively one must know at least the basics of Latex (I've learned a lot this way - thanks!). Latex is not for beginners.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted to cover all these points.

Thanks to Riki for wading in to the Windows installer mire.

Eric Barkan