On 06/19/2018 09:31 PM, Eric Barkan wrote:
> This is in reply to Pavel Sanda's query about Texlive vs. Miktex.
> Sorry, on my Fedora 28 system the "Reply to" button on the Mail
> Archive does not seem to work.  I get a blank screen on both Chrome
> and Firefox.  I may well be doing something wrong...
>
> Anyway, I owe great thanks to the LyX team for your terrific ongoing
> work.  I've been using LyX for almost 10 years now and I can't imagine
> life without it.
>
> I've been mostly using Texlive on Linux for my own work; this has been
> seamless at both install and run time.  However, about 5 years ago I
> helped a colleague install LyX on his Windows system using the
> "Bundle" installer and thus with MikTex.  This worked OK on the whole,
> but there have been a few mysterious failures, especially when
> installing new versions of LyX, even if the "simple" installer was
> used with an existing Miktex installation. Problems were usually
> cleared up by a complete reinstall of both MikTex and LyX, but that's
> quite a bother.

I've seen many reports of this kind of thing. I believe the problem is
that even the simple installer triggers a complete update of MiKTeX,
which unsurprisingly tends to break things.

> A couple of years ago this had became enough of an annoyance that we
> decided to try a full Texlive installation on Windows after completely
> removing Miktex.  Lyx immediately detected Texlive and ran
> flawlessly.  This good experience has been repeated without exception
> since then, through a number of version upgrades of LyX.

Thanks for that info.

> This experience left us wondering: why the emphasis on MikTex as
> opposed to Texlive?

Only Uwe could answer that question. Obviously, we are re-thinking that now.

> It is true that the need to install Texlive and LyX separately might
> be a bit more difficult for the uninitiated, but a person would have
> to be able to do one installation anyway with the bundle installer and
> seems to have a much greater chance of running into trouble that way.
> This strikes me as not being a good tradeoff in user friendliness.

It's possible we could incorporate the TeXLive installer into a "bundle"
the same way we have previously with MiKTeX, but we will have to
experiment with that a bit.

> If Miktex compatibility is to be maintained as an official part of
> LyX, I STRONGLY support the proposal to include a warning to the user
> that their Miktex installation might be modified or harmed by the
> installer.

I think it will suffice to remove the forced update of packages. That
does not make a lot of sense to me.

Riki