Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> As to the points above, for #1, LaTeX packages should behave the same on
> all platforms (unless the dreaded Windows line endings somehow muck things
> up), so I'm not sure why it would make a difference if I used MiKTeX and my
> coauthor used TeXLive.

Why it could make difference:
1. IIRC the (full) set of packages is not identical for MiKTeX and TL.
2. TL is stabilized & freezed. Once all coathors have, say TL 2017, then
   you can be sure that no packages versions would switch between computers.
   It's much harder to check what version of latex packages are on the
   computers when updates randomly occur.
3. Corner cases of how utilities play around with paths etc...

> For #2, I did not consider MiKTeX installation times
> bad back when I was using it. I would typically install just the base
> installer, then install individual packages when they first became needed.

I might try to install both and compare the install time for basic lyx usage.

We can of course list both miktex and TL, but there is no escape, only one
can be the first and de-facto default for ppl who don't care/know.
Pavel