On 09/23/2018 07:17 PM, Sergio Celani wrote:

El sáb., 22 sept. 2018 a las 19:01, Sergio Celani (<sergiocel...@gmail.com <mailto:sergiocel...@gmail.com>>) escribió:

    El sáb., 22 sept. 2018 a las 18:00, Paul A. Rubin
    (<parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>>) escribió:

        On 09/22/2018 10:21 AM, Sergio Celani wrote:

        El vie., 21 sept. 2018 a las 15:07, Paul A. Rubin
        (<parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>>) escribió:

            -------- Forwarded Message --------
            Subject:    Re: problema with the instalation of Lyx 2.3.1
            in Windows 10
            Date:       Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:34:09 -0300
            From:       Sergio Celani <sergiocel...@gmail.com>
            <mailto:sergiocel...@gmail.com>
            To:         Paul Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com>
            <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>

            El vie., 21 sept. 2018 a las 11:05, Paul A. Rubin
            (<parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>>)
            escribió:

                On 09/21/2018 12:16 AM, Sergio Celani wrote:

                El vie., 21 sept. 2018 a las 0:13, Paul A. Rubin
                (<parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>>)
                escribió:

                    On 09/20/2018 07:26 PM, Sergio Celani wrote:
                    Hi, I apologize for the delay in answering.

                    Yes, I try to start the program from instance
                    DOS, but nothing happens.
                    So,  I reinstalled Lyx 2.3.1 in a new folder
                    (called Lyx2.311).
                    Thus, I have the two versions installed in
                    different folders
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.3   and
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.311

                    In a DOS windows, I have tried again to open
                    the program, i.e.,
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.3\bin>start Lyx
                    ,  so open Lyx 2.3 without problems

                    C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.311\bin>start Lyx
                    ,  in this case nothing happens

                    I don't understand, I never had problems
                    installing the different versions of Lyx

                    imagen.png

                    El mar., 18 sept. 2018 a las 9:16, Paul A.

                        On 09/17/2018 10:30 PM, Sergio Celani wrote:
                        > Hi
                        >
                        > I have serious problems with the
                        instalation of new version 2.3.1 of
                        > Lyx in Windows 10.
                        > I have been using version 2.3, with the
                        latest installer made by Uwe
                        > (LyX-230-Installer-6), without any problem.
                        > I decided to install version 2.3.1 with
                        the official installer
                        > (LyX-231-Installer-2). It seems to
                        install correctly, but when the
                        > installation is finished it is impossible
                        to start the program.
                        > I have done several tests.  I uninstall
                        all Lyx versions (2.2.3 and
                        > 2.3), I reinstall Lyx 2.3.1, but again
                        the program does not want to start.

                        > The same problem occurs with the official
                        installer of version 2.3.
                        > But curiously, with Uwe's version I don't
                        have this problem. '
                        > As last I decided to restore the system
                        and install everything again.
                        > But again 2.3.1 does not boot after a
                        clean installation. Finally, I
                        > decided to go back to version 2.3 with
                        the Uwe installer
                        > (LyX-230-Installer-6). This version works
                        correctly.
                        > I have Windows 10 pro, installed on an
                        Asus computer, System Model
                        > UX490UAR.
                        >
                        > I would appreciate any help.
                        >
                        > Sergio
                        If you try to start 2.3.1 from a command
                        prompt (what we used to call a
                        DOS window), what messages do you see?

                        Paul

                    Please bottom post when responding; it makes the
                    thread easier to follow.

                    If you run the command "dir L*.exe" in
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.311\bin, what do
                    you get?

                    Paul

                I see what is shown in the screenshot

                imagen.png
                Does running "cmd /K Lyx2.3.exe" from that directory
                also fail to start LyX?

                Paul

            The program started once, after rebooting the system
            didn't work anymore.

        Hi

        I continue to try to see what happens with Lyx 2.3.1 on my
        computer.
        I've done a couple of tests.

        1. The Lyx.2.3 version opens from the command DOS
        C:\WINDOWS\system32>start lyx,
        and the program starts without any problem.

        Now I try Lyx2.3.1
        C:\WINDOWS\system32>start lyx2.3,
        but in this case appears a windows saying that it can't find
        the lyx2.3 file.

        2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.3\bin>

        C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.3\bin>start lyx,   and the
        program starts without any problem.
        So,
        C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.311\bin>start LyX2.3, and
        nothing happens.
        Also,
        C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.311\bin>cmd /K Lyx2.3.exe,  and
        nothing happens.

        I have installed Lyx2.3 ( LyX-230-Installer-6.exe, Uwe
        version), and official Lyx 2.3.1 ( LyX-231-Installer-2.exe)
        With the official installer LyX-230-Bundle-005.exe I have
        the same problems what with the installer of Lyx2.3.1

        Sergio

        I wonder if having both 2.3 and 2.3.1 installed is causing
        some sort of problem. I just installed 2.3.1 (installer 2)
        successfully on Win 10 in a virtual machine. I first
        uninstalled 2.3.0 completely (including using preferences),
        then ran the 2.3.1 installer and generally accepted the
        default settings. I did install for "all users" (2.3 was
        installed just for me).

        It might be worth uninstalling both 2.3 and 2.3.1 (including
        user preferences -- if you have any you want to preserve, back
        them up and try to replace them later once 2.3.1 is working).
        Then install 2.3.1 with the current installer (the one you
        mentioned above). If you can't get 2.3.1 to work, you can
        always find the 2.3.0 installer at one of the mirror sites
        listed at https://www.lyx.org/Download#toc11.

        Paul

    I did all that, at least twice.  I completely uninstalled both
    versions, then I installed the new version, but the problem
    continued. I think there must be some problem with the official
    installation. Anyway I'll try again

    Sergio

Hi

I finally solved the problem with Lyx2.3.1.😁
The solution is very, very simple.  What I did was rename the Lyx2.3.exe executable file to Lyx.exe
To me it's a real mystery why this is so.
The important thing is that I will be able to enjoy this software.
Many thanks to those who contribute to the development of this incredible program

Sergio

I can't imagine either why that would help, unless the original file name contained a nonprinting character (like a null) or somehow had an encoding problem. In any case, I'm glad you got it to work.

Paul