On 3/10/19 8:31 AM, David Belius wrote:

Den sön 10 mars 2019 kl 01:11 skrev Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>>:

    On 3/9/19 2:59 AM, David Belius wrote:
    Den lör 9 mars 2019 kl 00:19 skrev Scott Kostyshak
    <skost...@lyx.org <mailto:skost...@lyx.org>>:

        On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 08:47:34PM +0100, David Belius wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Recently Lyx has been sluggish when typing equations and
        scrolling in
        > moderately sized documents, to the point that it becomes
        very frustrating.
        > Is this known to be an issue with current versions? I am
        using a fresh
        > install of Lyx 2.3.2-2 on an up-to-date version of Windows
        10 (Version
        > 1809). On Lyx 2.3.2 (2018-12-20) on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS on a
        much older
        > computer editing same document is very snappy.

        I'm not sure I have seen such a report. It is hard to know how to
        diagnose the problem. When you see the sluggishness, are you
        by chance
        working on a file that is in a Dropbox folder and you have
        automatic
        save set to a high frequency? That's just a random guess. We
        have seen
        some problems from users with both Windows and Dropbox.

    Indeed the file is in a dropbox folder. But "Look&Feel->Document
    Handling->Backup documents every X minutes" is set to 5, which
    doesn't seem bery high frequency, and the problem persists even
    if I edit a copy of the document I placed in a non-dropbox folder.
    If you open the Windows Task Manager and then start editing a
    document in LyX, does the Task Manager show either high CPU
    utilization or high disk utilization for anything?

When I type into an equation CPU usage hits about 50%, split evenly between Lyx and a process called "Usermode Font Driver Host". I googled the latter and found some references to it in connection with possibly similar problems (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/51268-usermode-font-driver-host-freezes-computer/). I tried the "clean boot" mentioned in that discussion but it didn't change anything.

Incidently on Ubuntu the CPU usage for lyx in "top" hits ca 30% when I type into an equation in the same document at the same speed, but there is no additional process that sees increased CPU usage and lyx remains responsive while typing, unlike on windows.
You don't by any chance have instant preview turned on, do you?

Paul