Paul,
Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be that the working directory
is permanently set as my home directory, /home/dhalpern. Reading the
information that appears in preferences about paths, it clearly states that
the working directory should be the directory from which one starts lyx.
However, I've tried starting lyx from different directories, and the
working directory does not change. It's always set as the home directory.
Is this a bug?  The way around seems to be to change the working directory
while working on a particular project, but this is not optimal.

I am using Lyx 2.3.6.1, a fedora 36 binary package. I tried to compile
myself but it failed.

David Halpern