On 7/25/22 13:01, David Halpern wrote:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:15 AM Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On 7/25/22 11:55, David Halpern wrote:
    > Paul,
    > Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be that the working
    > directory is permanently set as my home directory, /home/dhalpern.
    > Reading the information that appears in preferences about paths, it
    > clearly states that the working directory should be the
    directory from
    > which one starts lyx. However, I've tried starting lyx from
    different
    > directories, and the working directory does not change. It's always
    > set as the home directory. Is this a bug?  The way around seems
    to be
    > to change the working directory while working on a particular
    project,
    > but this is not optimal.
    >
    > I am using Lyx 2.3.6.1, a fedora 36 binary package. I tried to
    compile
    > myself but it failed.

    David,

    Please bottom-post, since it makes the email threads easier for
    everyone
    to read. The default working directory is set in Tools >
    Preferences...
     > Paths > Working directory. Regardless of where you are when you
    launch LyX (assuming you are launching from a terminal), that's the
    initial working directory. So if I open a new document and browse
    for a
    file to insert, the directory in that setting is where the
    browsing starts.

    When you open an existing document and browse for something to
    insert,
    the initial directory should be the directory from which you
    loaded the
    document, again regardless of where you were when you started LyX.

    So the issue has nothing to do with where you start LyX. The question
    is, once you have opened a document (presumably not in your default
    directory), why doesn't the initial directory setting in the graphics
    insertion dialog update to the home of the document?

    If you open the parent document and then click Insert > File >
    External
    material (or any of the other choices), then click the browse button,
    does it again begin browsing in /home/dhalpern?

    Paul

-- lyx-users mailing list
    lyx-users@lists.lyx.org

Hi Paul,
When I do what you suggested, that is "Insert>File>External Material", I get a new window and running down on its left side there is a column with "Recent, Home, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc..". The other column lists the contents of whichever item on the left I click. I then need to navigate to the directory where the file that I would like to import is located by selecting "Home" first which lists the files and directories in my home directory. If I want to insert another file, I need to repeat the process. The only difference is that the popup window now lists the first file that was imported, which is not that useful. ("Home" could be replaced with "Documents" with the same outcome of having to click a number of directories.)  I use a terminal window and don't start lyx from my home directory.

Thanks.

David

Sorry, "external material" may have been a poor choice on my part, since the first dialog you get has to do with the nature of the material. In any event, when I click the browse button there or anywhere else, I get a dialog with a few known locations (in my case, "Computer" and my home directory) listed on the left and a select box labeled "Look in:" on the top. The select defaults to the parent directory of the current document, with the rest of the options being the ancestors of the current directory and some recently used locations. There's also a button labeled "Documents" which will jump the select box entry to my Documents directory.

The layout of (at least some) file chooser dialogs is controlled by a Qt setting, so this looks as if it is either specific to Fedora or something Qt related. I think it is going to require input from either a developer or a Fedora user to sort out.

Paul