On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:15 AM Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/22 11:55, David Halpern wrote:
> > Paul,
> > Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be that the working
> > directory is permanently set as my home directory, /home/dhalpern.
> > Reading the information that appears in preferences about paths, it
> > clearly states that the working directory should be the directory from
> > which one starts lyx. However, I've tried starting lyx from different
> > directories, and the working directory does not change. It's always
> > set as the home directory. Is this a bug?  The way around seems to be
> > to change the working directory while working on a particular project,
> > but this is not optimal.
> >
> > I am using Lyx 2.3.6.1, a fedora 36 binary package. I tried to compile
> > myself but it failed.
> >

> David,
>
> Please bottom-post, since it makes the email threads easier for everyone
> to read. The default working directory is set in Tools > Preferences...
>  > Paths > Working directory. Regardless of where you are when you
> launch LyX (assuming you are launching from a terminal), that's the
> initial working directory. So if I open a new document and browse for a
> file to insert, the directory in that setting is where the browsing starts.
>
> When you open an existing document and browse for something to insert,
> the initial directory should be the directory from which you loaded the
> document, again regardless of where you were when you started LyX.
>
> So the issue has nothing to do with where you start LyX. The question
> is, once you have opened a document (presumably not in your default
> directory), why doesn't the initial directory setting in the graphics
> insertion dialog update to the home of the document?
>
> If you open the parent document and then click Insert > File > External
> material (or any of the other choices), then click the browse button,
> does it again begin browsing in /home/dhalpern?
>
> Paul
>
> --

Hi Paul,
When I do what you suggested, that is "Insert>File>External Material", I
get a new window and running down on its left side there is a column with
"Recent, Home, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc..". The other
column lists the contents of whichever item on the left I click.
I then need to navigate to the directory where the file that I would like
to import is located by selecting "Home" first which lists the files and
directories in my home directory. If I want to insert another file, I need
to repeat the process. The only difference is that the popup window now
lists the first file that was imported, which is not that useful. ("Home"
could be replaced with "Documents" with the same outcome of having to click
a number of directories.)  I use a terminal window and don't start lyx from
my home directory.

Thanks.

David