(Should I reply to both the list and the sender, or just the list?)

That's interesting! Libreoffice or fc-list doesn't see it, either! Why
does the TexLive installer install to /opt if that's not normal?

I can also see that in /etc/fonts/conf.d/, there are many config files
(including urw-*) which link to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/, but
none for garamond. How come other fonts installed by tlmgr are
visible, but not all? Even of they are installed in /opt? Should I
reinstall TexLive to another location? What's the default location?