There are several options. An easy way could be links from the opentype and ttf dirs under your tex-tree to /usr/local/share/fonts or to $HOME/.local/share/fonts/

I don't know your current situation, but it may be something like:

mkdir $HOME/.local/share/fonts/texfonts

cd $HOME/.local/share/fonts/texfonts

ln -s /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype ./

ln -s /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/ttf ./

I hope, this works.

I don't know the reason, why pdflatex does not find the fonts, because latex has its own "database" for files. Maybe some font files are missing or you need to run mktexlsr (as root).