Hello people, i am a student in engeneering trying to use lyx to write my
master thesis.
Although entusiast at the beginning of the journey (leaving "Word" behind
seemed so attractive) i am now loosing entusiasm over the inability to import
objects (tables, graphs etc..) from other applications as well as the apparent
impossibility to really decide where things should go.

Needless to say i am working on a windows 2000 environment.

Example.. i am using SPSS (very advanced statistical program) and it produces
graphs and tables. Graphs i can export to EPS and therefore have them in my lyx
document, no problems about that. but what about tables?? tables dont offer the
"export to eps" option and there seem to be no way to include them in lyx
without COMPLETELY REWRITING THEM (which is not an option since i have several
tables filled with values). Of course if i open Word .. all i have to do is a
copy/paste sequence and the table appairs in that environmanent as well. .ready
to be nicely included.

I have tried alternative approaches.. SPSS offers me to save the table in "text
mode" which is simply a ASCII formatted table assuming font is NON
proportional. Needless to say LYX's "no double space, no tab, no double enter"
basic rule is preventing this to work in any way. I have tried to use "LYX
CODE" style which i understood as being more liberal about this but the results
are still awkward.

printing the table to a fake postcript printer and then importing it might do
the trick. but then i have serious problem "cutting" the resulting eps file
which always has the dimensions of a damn a4 file and therefore the table shows
an enourmous and (to my knowledge) unavoidable blank space. (Since , of course,
there is no "crop" option in lyx.

Should I abandon and go back to Word?

hoping not, i ask for your advice.

P.S what about that !H in the float placement dialog that doesent really work??
if i say i REALLY mean it (using the ! )i would expect the whole thing to work
so that if i write In this table :
TABLE FLOAT
I can se that etc.. it would work.
Then why need a float since i want it RIGHT THERE? easy.. a float seem to be
the only way to number a table so that i can later refer to it as table X.

Giovanni Tummarello
[EMAIL PROTECTED]