On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:26:57 +0200 wrote Giovanni Tummarello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello people, i am a student in engeneering trying to use lyx to write my
> master thesis.
> Although entusiast at the beginning of the journey (leaving "Word" behind
> seemed so attractive) i am now loosing entusiasm over the inability to import
> objects (tables, graphs etc..) from other applications as well as the apparent
> impossibility to really decide where things should go.
>
> Needless to say i am working on a windows 2000 environment.
>
> Example.. i am using SPSS (very advanced statistical program) and it produces
> graphs and tables. Graphs i can export to EPS and therefore have them in my lyx
> document, no problems about that. but what about tables?? tables dont offer the
> "export to eps" option and there seem to be no way to include them in lyx
> without COMPLETELY REWRITING THEM (which is not an option since i have several
> tables filled with values). Of course if i open Word .. all i have to do is a
> copy/paste sequence and the table appairs in that environmanent as well. .ready
> to be nicely included.

Does SPSS for Windows offer a csv (comma separated values) export? (Tab
separated values work even better, but for historical reasons are often
called csv too.)

Then you could either open these tab separated values in any editor, make a
table of right size in LyX and insert the numbers via copy and paste.

Oe, even more handy, use a perl script csv2lyx.pl (perl runs on DOS, so there
should be no problem with W2000) that makes a table for insertion in LyX out
of csv values (and optionally inserts this table automatically into LyX).

However, formatting (as bold numbers and non-Ascii symbols) is lost this way
(but it is still easier to change this in LyX afterwards than to rewrite all
the stuff).

> printing the table to a fake postcript printer and then importing it might do
> the trick. but then i have serious problem "cutting" the resulting eps file
> which always has the dimensions of a damn a4 file and therefore the table shows
> an enourmous and (to my knowledge) unavoidable blank space. (Since , of course,
> there is no "crop" option in lyx.

but there is the eps2eps script, that computes a tight bounding box around
the content of a ps- or eps-file using ghostscript. Unfortunately I have
only a unix (sh) version. Still, if you happen to have ghostscript on your
machine, you should be able to do the cropping automatically. I'll attach
the shell-script so either it runs with cygwin or you might be able to
rewrite it to work with the DOS-shell or just use the included call to
ghostscript.

> P.S what about that !H in the float placement dialog that doesent really work??
> if i say i REALLY mean it (using the ! )i would expect the whole thing to work

I did not try much on this topic (I am mostly happy with lyx placing the
floats on top)
Following the user-guide section 4.3.1.2, I wrote !ht in the dialog and my
float went where I wanted it. There is, however the unsolved problem of having
tables "on site" and figures floated. You need lots of ERT (Text going
directly to LaTeX) to achieve this -- this does not look nice in LyX and
requires some understanding of LaTeX but you can do everything LaTeX can
also with LyX this way.

there is additional reading under
  http://www.cs.uu.nl/~piet/floats

Hope this helps