On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:51:33PM +0300, Robin Turner wrote:

> > My colleagues come across this kind of request often, frankly I find
> > it hard to understand.
> >
> > Does the client want to edit the manuals ?
> > If the answer is yes, OK, but if it is no, PDF or HTML are
> > much better from the point of view of navigation or indexation
> > on the electronic support, anf PDF is equivalent for the paper support.
> >
> > Do I miss someting there ?
>
> HTML is Word-readable, and the best way of getting most documents from
> LyX to Word.  If the recipient wants to edit it, they can turn it into
> a Word document or whatever they want.

In this case, that's worse than useless.  They don't want to edit it,
they want to print it.  Which means we need to preserve nice things like
page headers and footers, and other nice formatting things that get lost
when you convert to HTML.  PDF would be the answer, but my manager is
not persuaded.  Yet.  One of the other things he balks at is that the
documentation is meant to be maintained by the support group, and he
deems that the learning curve required to teach them LyX would be
prohibitive -- nobody got time to "waste" in training people.

As I said, changing people is hard.

Kathryn Andersen
F.B.I. Agent #1: What do you think?
F.B.I. Agent #2: He's a Ruskie.
F.B.I. Agent #1: That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life!  Of
  course he's a Ruskie, but he's a *retard* or something!
        (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home) Stardate 8390
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/      \    |   <http://www.katspace.com>