On Friday 07 September 2001 01:51, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:46:55PM +0300, Robin Turner wrote:
> > >
> > > what do you mean here ?
> >
> > I wouldn't want to make assumptions about what Kathryn meant, but what
> > _I_ would mean by being bad at fonts is:
>
> Thanks for not assuming, but you hit the nail on the head.
>
> > 1.  You only get a few fonts pre-installed with your standard TeX/LaTeX
> > distribution (not necessarily a bad thing, though).
>
> Agreed.  After leaving the world of hundreds of TrueType fonts, it's a
> rather a letdown.
>
> > 2.  Although there are some very nice TeXable fonts out there, installing
> > them is about as intuitive as quantum physics.
>
> Say it again, man!  Even with some nice tools like vfontinst, you still
> have to mess around in the bowels...

Woohoo, I actually did it!  OK, it took me a couple of hours just to do one
test font, but now I can print from LyX in ugly Comic Sans MS!

Interested and determined parties can check out
http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/latex/no-bs.html

Less masochistic types who prefer to get their fonts from CTAN rather than
piss around with TrueType fonts might find the following useful:

http://www.ctan.org/ctan/install.html

OK, most of you probably knew that already, but it's amazing what you can
miss when browsing through archives.

> > 3.  Even if you actually manage to get a new font installed, LyX won't
> > recognise it.
>
> Evil Red Text is required -- that or making your own Style (which is
> what I ended up doing).
>
> > As I've said before, a very nice feature/plugin for LyX would be a
> > font-installer. My dream would be something that would connect to my
> > nearest CTAN mirror, download the fonts I want, integrate them in my TeX
> > system and add them to the LyX "default font" popup.
>
> Or simply something that would allow me to use all of my existing
> TrueType fonts as easily as I can now use them in X-Windows.

Should be easy for some script wizard to write!  The nice thing about
Unix/Linux is that just about anything you can do once, you can script to do
umpteen times.  But I'm worn out after my heroic achievement ...