On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:38:58AM +0200, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Tomer Altman wrote:
>
> >1. How can I add a vertical line between Matrix columns?
>
> I'd like to hear that too. Especially, how to partition a matrix
> into four quadrants with lines like a big "+" sign?
>
> First I created the delimiter brackets for the matrix.
> Then I made the line by using a Delimiter, with left one invisible and
> right one a vertical line "|". Then I inserted horizontal lines
> to both sides of the vertical line with math-fraction.
> And finally I put a matrix with desired size to each of the quadrants
> in the matrix.

Use \vline. See attached file (I defined a \vvline command as using \vline
will create too much space).
BTW, the real latex solution is to use \begin{array}{c|c} but this is not
supported in lyx 1.1.6 (it is supported by lyx 1.2.0).
#LyX 1.2 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 218
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\newcommand{\vvline}{\!\!\!\vline\!\!\!}
\end_preamble
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula \( \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & \vvline  & b\\
\hline c & \vvline  & d
\end{array}\right)  \)
\end_inset