Hi,

On 13 Feb 2002, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> marvin> Follow-up...This is becoming annoying. There is a conflict
> marvin> between the NOTE at the end of the signature and what the
> marvin> tutorial says.
>
> marvin> The note says "This field MUST come before the "opening
> marvin> field!""
>
> I do not know much about the letter class myself, but if you people
> come up with fixes to the letter template and/or the Tutorial to
> improve them, they will be welcome.

AFAIK, this is a latex problem (or feature?) of this class. One of the
item (signature, or something else) causes the latex interpretor to stop,
as if there was an \end{document} (it is likely that it's exacly what
appends). This has the very peculiar effect that this command is almost
the only one I know that can't be put anywhere like most of them. It has
to be the last one. For me, it's a bug and should be changed, but that' a
LaTeX question, not a Lyx one (but Lyx could implement a workaround, by
always moving this command to the end of the generated tex file).

I hope, that someone here knows that better than I do and can correct and
complete what I just wrote.

        Yannick