On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 08:03:55PM -0400, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> It is exactly your attitude that makes
> this whole problem even worse; yeah, it's not our platform, yeah,
> people should run antivirus software...but you're in denial if you
> think ignoring it is going to solve anything.

You are grossly misinformed.  Why do not you look at

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel%40lists.lyx.org/msg37283.htm

and the thread starting with

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg30438.html

The proposed method would also eliminate viruses...  At the time, it
did not look timely to implement it, though.

> -run antivirus software.  amavis is one package, but it acts only as
> an interface to a scanner(see amavis.org)  Some products, like Trend
> Interscan, already have mail scanning capabilities.  No Linux/unix
> virus scaning engines are available for free, non-personal use,
> however.  None of the good ones result in false positives(NONE.  I've
> used Trend for 2 years now and NEVER had a false positive.)

Funny that you are trying to promote non-free software on a list for
free software.  Please, do not.

Let me reiterate: I do feel responsible for making discussions on the
LyX lists as pleasant as possible, and I am doing everything to
achieve this.  But if people accuse me of ruining their computer, it
needs pointing out that the average message hops through 9 mail
servers from sender to receiver.  My server is only one of them.  So
if you send me an angry note, please also send one to each of the
other 8 postmasters starting with your ISP's.

Please take spam/virus discussions to the list set up for this purpose:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mate