On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 08:03:55PM -0400, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> At 3:15 PM -0500 4/29/02, Mate Wierdl wrote:
> >Lately, I received emails such as
> >
> >"I received a lot viruses from the lyx users list, and now my
> >windows partition is ruined."
> >
> >I am truly sorry to hear this, but:
> >
> >--- The virus _never_ originates from my server
>
> What follows is my personal opinion; [...]
>
> You've got three choices, [...]
>
> -dump all attachments before they go to the list management
> software's alias.  "demime" is one good script for doing so, very
> easy to install.  Attachments shouldn't be allowed on large lists
> anyway; this isn't the development list, so attachments are simply
> not necessary nor appropriate, particularly in this day and age where
> webservers are dime a dozen.  People should never send attachments,
> they should reference URLs.  99% of the attachments that drift by
> have absolutely no use to me...and posting attachments is completely
> useless to people reading the archives a week, month, year later.
> URLs, if they link to some place stable, at least have a fighting
> chance.

I disagree. Attachments are convenient and a message with a patch attached
is self-contained and can be stored in the mail archives for later
retrieval. No need to refer to external URL's (which may or may not
exist or be up at the time of viewing)

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)