Hello,

you can tell Lyx to accept compound words:

press Edit -> Preferences -> Lang Opts -> Spell checker, and then choose
"Accept compound words" at the bottom. You can also reach this when
spell checking, just press "Spellchecker Options" at the bottom right.
in both cases you can also choose the speller to use (aspell or ispell).

I don't know the difference between aspell and ispell, although I'm told
aspell is better. In both spellers, using the "accept compound words", I
got no error for the sentence "thespelling of lefthand".

You can ofcourse also add specific words to your dictionary, either for
this session or in to your personal dictionary. You just press "Insert
in personal dictionary" or "Accept word in this session" (the buttons on
the right), when encountering a "wrong" word while spell checking.

I hope this helps (sorry for any spelling mistakes - no speller yet in
mozilla),

Amir