Rich Shepard schrieb:

  While I'm becoming more familiar with LyX and LaTeX, I would like some
help in entering equations such as the following:

                    /0                  if f(x) < sup f
                    |                              R_i
                    |
                    | f(x)-sup f
         u_Ghat(x)= <       R_i
                    | -----------       if sup f < f(x) < sup f
                    | sup f - sup f        R_i            R_i
                    | S(R)    R_i
                    |
                    | 1                 if sup f < f(x)
                    \                      S(R)

  Poor attempt at ASCII art, but there it is. :-) The vertical bar is a huge
left-curley brace. The underscores represent subscripts.

open a blue math box and then u_Ghat(x)= and now insert \cases <space>. To get a new line insert ctrl-enter

Herbert