Hi Rich,

As an aside, is there a place in some documentation where the use of each
little blue box in math mode is explained? That I've not seen and it would
probably help me with learning new math mode entry tasks.

Sounds like you got hold of some documentation already..

in this situation, enter the "1," in the left side blue box and "if and only
if x \in A" in the right side blue box, then press ctrl-[Enter]?

I think so.. that's worked fine for me so far.

  Also, when entering the conditional, what is the proper format for spacing
between words? A keyboard space moves me out of the math box; so does a

If the text is entered in texth-within-math-mode (you can do a Ctrl-M while you're in the math-mode to enter text-within-math-mode), then you can just hit space and it'll show up as a space.. if you want a space while in math-mode then try \, or \ followed immediately by a space.. they put spaces with varying widths.. I think (but I'm not sure) that \, is the space you want between two characters in math mode -- such as for a,<space>b .. would be great if someone could confirm this...

nirmal