Thanks Herbert... I think the one I was looking for was named FigSideBySide.lyx but assuming that it uses the same minipages-based solution as MultiImages.lyx, I am unable to vertically align the captions of the two figures that are side-by-side... I have two figures that do not have the same height/width but I'd like to have the captions on the same line, i.e. the figures will have a constant base... any way to do this? (I also have labels for the figures within a figure float)

Nirmal,

It is attached the file that Herbert sent me and that you are looking for.

Paul

#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{capt-of}
\end_preamble
\language german
\inputencoding latin1
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize 10
\spacing single
\papersize a4paper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 5
\tocdepth 5
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle headings

\layout Standard

Two figures side by side in a float environment.
 Have a look at the
\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
verb/ layout->paragraph->more/
\end_inset

 For the the captions in the float (red line on the left side marks a minipage!).
 Between the two figures are three
\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
verb/
\backslash
hfill/
\end_inset

-commands (
\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
verb/insert->special character->hfill/
\end_inset

).
 Otherwise the images are not centered.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Float figure
wide false
collapsed true

\layout Standard

\hfill

\begin_inset Graphics
        filename /home/voss/LyX/lyx1.jpg
        display color
        width 50col%

\end_inset

\hfill

\begin_inset Graphics
        filename /home/voss/LyX/lyx2.jpg
        display color
        width 30col%

\end_inset

\hfill

\layout Caption

side by side figure (Caption No.
 1)
\layout Caption

Caption No.
 2
\end_inset

\layout Standard

The same figures side by side by both aligned to their top.
 The solution with
\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
verb/
\backslash
raisbox{-
\backslash
height}{<image>}/
\end_inset

 is the easiest, but there maybe a problem when you have the captions above,
 then one images is one line too high.

\layout Standard

\begin_inset Float figure
wide false
collapsed true

\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
hrulefill
\backslash
vspace{-2ex}
\end_inset

\layout Standard

\hfill

\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
raisebox{-
\backslash
height}{
\end_inset

}
[...]

With a parbox which is aligned to the top and an additional line with a
 zero height it's possible to get top aligned images
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Float figure
wide false
collapsed false