Then do not use minipages, use package varwidth. The only,
but important problem is, that LyX doesn't support this
package. -> ERT

Thanks Herbert.. will try this out soon..

On the other hand you can put the image into a box
and then set the minipage exactly to the width of
this box (image).

To make life harder, my first image's height > width so I've set the scaling using the height and asked for the aspect ratio to be maintained. The second image's width > height so it's the other way around. Hence, for the first figure, I'm not sure what the bounding box's width should be...

Or -> trial and error ...

I'll have to go with this for now as I'm a little short on time (submission in 2 days).. :-)

Thanks,
nirmal