>   Related to this is a tendency for academicians to assume that everyone
> reading what they write (or listening to them speak) is as knowledgeable as
> they are in the subject being discussed.

Which is a valid assumption since the people reading what most academics write
are other academics.

The corollary of this (did I use the correct word? I can never remember),
academics write their research papers for other academics, not the general
public.

To me a circle with a plus sign is XOR :) or a hot cross bun. I believe the
later interpertation should sit well with most LyX users. You should get one
now!

Marc