Am Donnerstag, 17. Juni 2004 20:13 schrieb John Coppens:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:52:52 +0200
> Georg Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1. It must start with %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0, not %!PS-Adobe-3.0,
> > otherwise lyx will not recognize it as eps but ps and therefore use
> > ps2pdf and not eps2pdf to convert it to pdf.
>
> That was because the file I posted on my site was the original PS file -
> not EPS.

Your file is a valid EPS file (Apart from the setpagedevice), but is not
declared as such. The difference between ps and eps are (maybe I have
forgotten something):
- EPS needs a bounding box, PS not
- EPS files must obey a certain structure regarding the DSC comments
- EPS files sometimes contain a preview (then they are called sometims EPSI)

Unfortunately there are often subtle differences between different programs.

> > 2. The commands
> >
> > <<
> > /PageSize [595 841]
> > /ImagingBBox null
>
> Probably same remark as above. I didn't remove them from the EPS files.

But if you did, pdflatex would work (at least it did for me).

> -----
> Anyway, I've finally been able to get it done! I didn't have dvipdfm, so I
> installed it (as pdflatex does not treat the EPSs correctly). Several
> other items weren't installed either. I'll do a few tests in the next
> days, and post a writeup of the results.

maybe to the wiki?

> BTW: Throughout this experience I was confused (and amazed) by the (lack
> of-) beginner's documentation for LyX. Most docs are based on previous
> knowledge of TeX/LaTeX or other stuff. Configuration of the LyX converters
> and viewers is not entirely intuitive... Is there some effort on the way
> for a more complete installation/configuration manual?

I don't know of any, but you are right, the documentation is improvable in
this respect.

Georg