Martin A. Hansen wrote:

> hello
>

> i need to track changes between a couple of lyx documents.
>
> the wiki page on change tracking confuses me:
> http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/ChangeTrackingLyx1-3-2
>
> where is the patch ? the link is not working:
> http://members.shaw.ca/jkerrb/lyx-1.3.2-change_tracking.diff.bz2
>
> should such contributed patches not reside on lyx ftp site ?
>
> - or has it involved to
> http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Tips/lyx-1.3.5-changebars.diff.bz2
> ?
>
> moreover, what versions of lyx does this patch work with (besides the
> obvious 1.3.2) ?

I'd say that it works with the latest and greatest stable version of LyX,
1.3.5. As in the name 'lyx-1.3.5-changebars' :)

> is the way you apply patches dependant on the patch, or
> would a link to a wiki-page on how to install patches be in order?

You reckon? Maybe.

Anyway, here's a synopsis of what you need to do:

Grab the LyX 1.3.5 sources from
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/stable/lyx-1.3.5.tar.bz2

Unpack them:
$ bunzip2 lyx-1.3.5.tar.bz2
$ tar xvf lyx-1.3.5.tar
$ cd lyx-1.3.5

Move the change tracking patch here and apply it. I'd expect this to work:
$ bunzip2 lyx-1.3.5-changebars.diff.bz2
$ patch -p0 < lyx-1.3.5-changebars.diff

Now build the executable. Something like:
$ mkdir build && cd build
$ ../configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-included-gettext \
  --with-pspell --with-frontend=qt --with-qt-dir=<PATH to QTDIR>"
$ make

You might want to use the '--program-suffix' or '--with-version-suffix'
options to configure (see configure --help) so that your modified lyx has
a clear and meaningful name.

Change to root and install it.
$ su
$ make install

If you are using an rpm-based distribution, you might want to create a lyx
rpm and install that:

$ make rpmdist

should work if your system is set up correctly.

> now, for my overall view of this wiki page: i find it quite confusing -
> it is a copy-paste of the history of the patch and some irrelevant
> considerations IMHO. and what is the business with the "change bars" -
> what does "change bars" mean here ?
>
> this could use some clean-up.

Feel free to do so. That's the whole point of a wiki. It relies on
motivated people like you to make it better. Whole sale rearrangement is
perfectly acceptable, so don't be shy :) (The original is stored so it can
always be retrieved should things not work out.)

--
Angus